Thursday, July 21, 2011

Arizona - Day 3

No pictures from today, when I'm in training, it's not worth it to lug the camera around.

So, had training all morning, and went to Elephant Bar for lunch with him today. Sort of weird place, but pretty good food. They have a weird mix of foods from around the world, but seem to focus on South-East Asian foods. I had the Crispy Honey Orange Shrimp and it was pretty tasty.

After wrapping up training for the day, I got in touch with my online friend Mitch, the owner of Mitch and I first talked to each other when I discovered his website about Mitsubishi Mirages (I've owned 2 and a 3 other Mitsubishis) in 1999. We've communicated on and off since then, and finally got a chance to meet in person. It was very cool. I swung by his place to meet him, meet his girlfriend and check out all of his projects (He bought a house a year or two ago and has been doing tons of work, and he has 4 project car; two Mirages; a Hyundai Sonata 2.4 Turbo, and a IH Scout II). From the start it was really cool, sort of bizarre meeting someone face to face that I felt like I knew fairly well already.

Mitch had talked about a good German restaurant that he had had a few times, so we made our way to Bavarian Point. Holt cow, the food was good. I had the Jagerschnitzel, a good old German standby, and it was, hands-down, the best schnitzel I've ever had. Normally, around here, it's simply a flat-pounded pork cutlet that is breaded and fried, and then it is served with a brown gravy that has onions and peppers in it. It's really good, but the stuff at Bavarian Point was amazing. It was a non-breaded sauteed pork cutlet, and the sauce was much more complex than usual. The sauce had onions, peppers, mushrooms, tons of other stuff, and was marvelous. I hope to experience more good schnitzel in the future.

So, Mitch and I continued to hang out, the restaurant was empty, and the bar area (where we were) only had a small group of guys hanging out with the owner. We realized that they were just hanging out, not waiting for us to leave, but that they were definitely closed. It was sort of cool. Eventually, we got up, everyone else still hanging out and talking, and I dropped Mitch back off at home. We discussed possibly hanging out the next night and I headed back to the hotel to crash out early.

No comments:

Post a Comment