Saturday, March 17, 2012

Piles o' Crap

Happy Saint Patrick's Day!

Tonight began the true effort to pack for Peru. I'm not going to be riding my bike much (if at all) before the 24th now, so I could start moving bags and tools from my bike to my den to pack. Here is the initial outcome:

Packing Pile

Here is the bulk of everything. I've not got 100% of the stuff in the piles yet, but it's mostly all here.

Packing Pile

In this picture is the clothes that will be packed for the flight, including two pairs of quick drying synthetic boxers, 2 liner socks and one out socks, 1 pair of heavy wool socks, fleece pullover, long sleeve ADVRider.com wicking shirt from FatTees and a pair of swim trunks. I will likely be wearing one of the pairs of liner socks. The guide book has been rebound to only include the 50 or so pages from the Sacred Valley region. In the top of the picture (and partially out of frame) is my electronics (Garmin 60csx, SPOT, usb quick charger, wall charger and cables, batteries, Steripen and pre-filter/adapter, headlamp), personal affects, and First Aid gear. In the bottom left is my sleeping bag stuff sack for the Giant Loop Coyote and 2 lightweight dry bags that should hold most of the rest of the things.

Packing Pile
This picture includes my Coyote heat shield, tools, spare tube, Larabars, some cashews, lock, HJC IS-MAX helmet, Gaerne Explorer boots and backpack with water bladder. The base for the Diablo tank bag (bottom right) is in the backpack as well.

Packing Pile
This last picture has the stuff that may or may not make the final cut of gear, as well as the pants and tshirt I'll be wearing on the way down. The tank bag and my gloves are in this as well. I may be leaving my heavy winter gloves (in the first picture there is a small bag with thermal glove liners and balaclava that take up minimal space), two pairs of cotton socks, Maglite, pocket knife and AA-powered usb charger.

Here is my master packing list. It doesn't format great on here, but it's definitely usable. Green means it's within the piles. Yellow means I own it and it will make it to the piles. Red means I need to get it. I'll pick up some of this in Peru. The riding gear is up in the air right now. Both of my jackets and the pair of pants that I have are too big on me now. I've been looking at Klim riding gear, the Badlands jackets and pants look like an incredible year-round capable adventure riding suit. Unfortunately, it also costs $1550 for the pants and jacket. I will most likely end up with two suits, something like an Olympia vented or mesh suit for hotter weather, and something waterproof for cooler and wetter riding. With that in mind, I've been looking at Bilt waterproof gear to take to Peru. It's cooler there (under 70 most days, unless I dip down into the warmer rain forest areas) and it's been raining quite a bit. Cyclegear sells Bilt (it's an in-house brand) and they have a waterproof adventure setup on sale for $240 right now.

.

DocumentsQuantityNotes

.

Passport1

.

Copies of Passport1

.

Hidden Wallet1For Passport

.

Insurance Docs, ID, CCs6In Wallet

.

Emergency Contact Cards2

.

Paper Maps1

.

Pens & Journal13 Pens, 1 Steno Pad

.

.

Clothing

.

Socks32 liners, 1 over, 2 pairs black socks, 1 pair wool

.

T Shirts22 ADV Wicking

.

Underwear32 synth, 1 ExOfficio

.

Fleece Pullover1

.

Rain Jacket1

.

Off-Bike Cargos1

.

Hiking Shoes1

.

Swim Trunks1

.

.

Gear

.

Giant Loop Coyote Bag1

.

Camelback/Backpack1

.

Diablo Tank bag and plate1

.

Helmet1

.

Riding Jacket1And Liners

.

Riding Gloves3Liners, Heavy, Light

.

Riding Pants1And Liners

.

Boots1

.

.

Health & Hygiene

.

Personal Effects Bag1Basic

.

-tooth brush1

.

-tooth paste1

.

-hand sanitizer2

.

-shampoo1

.

-comb1

.

-mouth guard1

.

-deodorant1

.

-soap1

.

-shammie1

.

-nail clippers1

.

-lip balm1

.

Toilet Paper1

.

Sun Screen1

.

Insect Repellant (DEET)1

.

Sleeping Bag1Compact, lightweight

.

First Aid Kit1

.

Protien Bars8

.

Spare Glasses1

.

32oz Water Bottle1with silicone sip reducer

.

.

Maintenance

.

Patch Kit1

.

Inflation1

.

Pressure Gauge1

.

Cable Ties12

.

Spare 21" Tube1

.

tool bags2

.

MISC. from front fender pack

.

.

Electronics

.

SPOT GPS Tracker1

.

Spare AAA Lithium Batteries10

.

Garmin GPS1

.

Cell Phone1

.

Spare Cell Battery1

.

USB Charger, Cable and Adapters1Micro Cable, Mini Adapter, Wall Charger

.

USB Portable Charger1

.

AA Powered USB Charger1Includes Mini USB Adapter

.

Camera1

.

SD Cards310GB total

.

Steri-Pen, filter and adapter1

.

Headphones1Ear Buds

.

iPod Shuffle1

.

iPod charge cable

.

Headlamp1

.

Flashlight1

No comments:

Post a Comment